Graphic design is the art or skill of mixing images and words to visually communicate a message. In broad terms, graphic designers make visually compelling visual representations, either by hand or through the use of computers. They usually work on a freelance basis, for clients and businesses that are looking for ways to communicate their ideas or brand to an audience.
Types Of Graphic Design
An exciting career as a graphic designer is one of the most lucrative and fulfilling careers available today. The industry offers a variety of career options for anyone with a passion for art and creativity. Offering a median average earning potential of approximately $46,640, a career in graphic design appeals to those searching for freedom and creative expression within their profession.
Here are some of the many types of graphic design that an aspiring designer can specialize in:
- Logo Design
A logo is a visual representation of the product, often with the brand name on it, making it easy for the viewer to identify a company’s products. Logo designs are often used as part of a marketing strategy and are typically there when you see an advertisement for a product.
Here are the different logo design applications:
- Logo design for promotional products (like T-shirts, mugs, and promo bags)
- Logo design for business cards
- Logo design for social media marketing
- Overall logo design for the company or brand
- Web Design
Web design covers everything from color schemes, layout and user interface design, and user experience design—all of which are required for a website to function correctly. Businesses prioritize web design when creating their website to establish a positive digital image, expand their audience reach, and boost their profits.
Here are the qualities of a good web design:
- Appealing and functional layout
- Visual elements such as font, images, videos, shouldn’t be too crowded
- Efficient use of whitespace or negative space
This type of graphic design encompasses several different areas that allow the designer to work with images to tell a story, foster moods, and create beautiful, realistic imagery. This is often used to accompany text and other visual information.
There are many different types of illustrations, and each of these can require a great deal of training, experience, and skill. For example, some areas of illustration include children’s illustration, which can require mastery of coloring, tracing, drawing and other techniques.
- Publishing Graphic Design
This is the most common type of graphic design available to professionals today, covering a broad range of styles, types, and formats. Publications are often created by combining images with text.
For example, some artists may create images for magazines, books or newspapers before creating their own books, while others will use the Internet to develop a full-fledged publishing business that produces an entire website based on images. The possibilities with publication and content production are endless, including the following:
- Work with the best authors in the world
- Get your work published in paper format, such as books and magazines
- Be referred by established publishing companies to their clients for more projects
- Production Graphic Design
This area covers a wide variety of concepts, including web design and video production or motion graphics. If you have a passion for creating content that others can enjoy, this type of graphic design may be right for you. You’re expected to create a complete set of documents, images, graphics and content, ensuring that the finished product looks professional and appealing to the end user.
Graphic Design Tips
A professional graphic designer must tell a story visually with rich colors, bright fonts, graphics, textures, and other graphic elements. Every graphic design is an individual, unique creation birthed in the world. This field offers you the chance to create your own style and personalize your design choices.
Here are some basic graphic design tips that every professional designer must be aware of:
- Graphic designers should use the appropriate amount of contrast. In layman’s terms, contrast refers to the difference between two colors.
- Keep things simple. Even if the overall image is attractive, if the graphic is not well-arranged, the message will not get through. You want to create an image that the audience can easily understand and remember. If the message cannot be seen, then there is no point in giving the graphic any attention.
- Don’t overdo colors as they can distract the eye. Make sure that the colors that you use complement the message you’re trying to convey.
There are a number of jobs available within the fields of graphic design. By doing some research into your desired career and your chosen area of study, you’ll be sure to find a fulfilling, rewarding, and fun position that is in high demand. As long as you’re passionate about your craft and willing to put in the necessary effort, you’ll lead a successful career as an artist and graphic designer.