There are plenty of technical terms and jargon when it comes to property development and alterations and it can be confusing as to what you are allowed to do to your home. Just because you own your house does not necessarily mean it is yours to do whatever you want with. Here are a few things to consider when planning work like extensions or loft conversions.

Permitted Development

Put simply, these are rights that allow you to make changes to your home without needing to apply for planning permission from a local authority. A letter of development can be obtained which provides legal proof and your loft conversion specialist can apply for this for you. It is a great idea to choose a specialist that offers a wide range of services, including the legal elements, like these loft conversion specialists in Birmingham, as you can be sure you will have all bases covered and that the work carried out is completely legal and high quality.

Whether loft developments are permitted developments is completely dependent on the type of property you have. There is a list of criteria that needs to be met to qualify, including the conversion not extending higher than the existing roof and the extension not overhanging the outer wall of the original house. When considering loft conversions, an architect will draw up plans and your specialist will help you to understand these guidelines and how they affect your need for permission. It might alter the type of loft conversion you choose.

Planning Permission

If the building work on your house does not qualify for permitted development, you will need to apply for planning permission and your specialist will also be able to help with this.  The application processes and criteria will vary depending on your location, type of house and the work you are hoping to do. This is a very important step and while it can be expensive and make the process take longer, there are adverse consequences to skipping this step, which include fines and difficulty selling the property at a later date. You will need to apply for permission with every works, even if you have already extended your home, so it not wise to assume that being granted it once means it will apply to every future change. A party wall agreement might also be required for a conversion, depending on the type of home you own.

Listed Buildings

There are several types of areas and buildings where permissions are more restricted. These include National Parks, Conservation Areas or World Heritage Sites. If your home is in an area like this, it may be more difficult to get permission to make the changes you need, due to the protection of the area and any damage or changes that could affect it. Furthermore, listed buildings might be difficult to alter, as they are protected by local authorities due to their national importance and level of architectural and historic interest. While listed buildings can sometimes be converted or extended, permission is again needed for any of these works.