Faces of Design (FoD) is inviting submissions to the Faces of Design Awards 2011, a yearly design portfolio competition, raising the visibility of hot talent worldwide.
In its first edition, the Faces of Design Awards 2010 attracted more than 140 participants from 37 countries all around the world, out of whom a total of 34 winners were presented to the design world in an elegant printed publication, as well as in a number of offline and online features. The Faces of Design Awards are based on candidates’ existing portfolios, and culminate in the publication of a printed volume, showcasing the 25 most promising design talents by design discipline (e.g. graphic, interior or fashion design). This collection of profiles will be distributed to over 1.000 key decision makers at more than 300 companies, including firms such as Vitra, IKEA, the Richemont Group (including prestigious brands such as Montblanc, Cartier and Chloé), the design press, and designers’ studios such as the Campanas’ and Bouroullecs’.
On top of this, the three candidates with the most panel votes overall will receive special individual promotion with one company of their choice – for example, last year’s top candidates had the opportunity to meet the Head of Design at Kvadrat, Anne Jørgensen, and the Head of Design Management at Vitra, Eckart Maise. The competition opened on October 1st, 2010; the deadline for portfolio submission is December 15th, 2010; an early bird registration discount is available until October 31st. The winners of the design competition will be announced in January 2011.
In the first round of the Faces of Design Awards, the candidates present the best elements of their portfolio to the judges in a safe online environment, followed by a second round with our highprofile panel. The winners of the Faces of Design Awards will then have their profiles published and distributed to opinion leaders and key decision makers in design worldwide. To promote emerging talents in particular, there is a special discount to encourage student participation in the competition, and participation grants to support design talent from developing countries.
At Faces of Design, we are constantly stunned by the quality of design talent out there – and even more so by how many amazing designers do not get the recognition they deserve. To address this issue, and to raise the visibility of great design talent worldwide, we have created the Faces of Design Awards. Join the Faces of Design Awards for your chance to shine, and to have your work showcased to international design leaders – including manufacturers, design studios, journalists and design associations.
In two competition rounds, leading international design experts from a wide range of backgrounds review your work. We, the team at Faces of Design, then actively promote the 25 best candidates and their work to opinion leaders, the press and potential employers/clients around the world. The full list of companies that will receive a volume of the winners’ publication can be found on our website.
The Faces of Design Awards provide you with the opportunity to substantially raise your international profile. This includes:
1. Gaining visibility to an international panel of renowned judges (see below)
2. Having your work showcased in a printed volume, and distributed to over 1.000 key decisionmakers at more than 300 companies and design studios, as well as leading design publications and associations worldwide
3. Meeting with the client or employer you would most like to work with: for each of the three participants that receive the most panel votes, we will do our utmost to secure at least one www.facesofdesign.com meeting or interview with the design companies of their choice. These can be firms from our distribution list of international design leaders, or other companies specifically chosen by the winners;
4. Having your work showcased in a special competition gallery on Faces of Design, which will be widely promoted to the international design press;
5. Winning the right to display the Faces of Design Award Winner’s Seal on your website and in other marketing materials. Seals are awarded for the following categories:
a. Winner (awarded based on the total number of Panel votes received)
b. Special Mention (by personal selection of one or more Panel members)
6. An electronic copy (PDF) of the final publication, to support your marketing efforts;
7. The Faces of Design Award trophy.
Of course, all participants in the design competition will benefit from being able to showcase their work to potential clients and employers on www.facesofdesign.com, and the additional attention the Awards generate.
About Faces of Design
Faces of Design is an information portal and career platform for designers. Interdisciplinary and intercultural in nature, we seek to help designers raise their game by providing them with inspirational and informative content, and by building connections with industry players.