La Porta di Milano: deadline postponed to Monday 21th September 2009
Sea, the company operating Milan airports presents” La Porta di Milano”, a new architectural project for realizing a work of art that will contribute towards changing the appearance of Malpensa airport.
SEA, the company that manages the airports of Milan, would like to inform you that the deadline for the Competitive Tender Notice with regards to the presentation of the ideas and construction proposals to create a new grand scale project at Malpensa Airport, has been postponed from Monday 20th July 2009 to Monday 21st September 2009.
The applicants will have time to enroll and to submit their applications, as stated in the Competitive Tender Notice, until September, 21st 2009, 12PM Noon, central European time. The notice of competition, with the object of involving not only the Italian but also the international world of architecture and design, plans to create a space with a high aesthetic value, virtually representing the door to the city of Milan.
Apart from emotively kindling the imagination of the passengers by its fascinating lights, colours, materials and sounds, this work could also become an exceptional location for holding cultural events and exhibitions.
La “Porta di Milano”, which will come to life between the airport and the Malpensa Express railway station, will be an area of great creative impact, a perfect blend of art and architecture, with which Milan will welcome the whole world in an entirely original manner: a sensorial itinerary pointing straight to the heart and mind of the travellers.
The notice of competition, with the object of involving not only the Italian but also the international world of architecture and design, plans to create a space with a high aesthetic value, virtually representing the door to the city of Milan . Apart from emotively kindling the imagination of the passengers by its fascinating lights, colours, materials and sounds, this work could also become an exceptional location for holding cultural events and exhibitions.
” La Porta di Milano “, which will come to life between the airport and the Malpensa Express railway station, will be an area of great creative impact, a perfect blend of art and architecture, with which Milan will welcome the whole world in an entirely original manner: a sensorial itinerary pointing straight to the heart and mind of the travellers.
” With ” la Porta di Milano” explained Giuseppe Bonomi , Chairman of Sea we intend to involve creative personalities, architects and designers, Italians and foreign, for them to send us their ideas on this project of great symbolical value. For this reason we have focused particular attention both on normal channels as well as on Internet by creating a web site entirely devoted to the project”.
An estimated 1.7 million Euro is planned to be invested in completing the entire work. The project is timed for the following steps:
• 5 June 2009: publication of notice of competition in the Official Gazette
• 20 July 2009: deadline for submitting proposals for the first step
• end of September 2009: notification of finalist projects
• December 2009: award of supply contract
” We have set up a jury of experts to select the finalist projects and the winning idea, which will not only guarantee transparency in the decision making process, but also the quality of the proposals ” – continued Giuseppe Bonomi. Sandrina Bandera , Superintendent of the Province of Lombardy historical heritage, Mario Bellini , Architect and Designer, Gregorio Caccia Dominioni, Architect and Arnaldo Pomodoro, Architect and contemporary Sculptor will be sitting on the jury chaired by Gianpiero Borghini ”
PANEL OF JUDGES
SANDRINA BANDERA graduated in Art History at the University of Florence in 1975. She earned prestigious scholarships: in 1976 at the Roberto Longhi Foundation and from 1977 to 1980 the CNR scholarship at the Bibliothèque Nationale in Paris on the miniature from Lombardy from the 15th century. From 1979 to 1980 she held the office of Research Professor at the University of Florence; in 1980 she won the competition for career directive as an Art Historian for the Ministry of Cultural Heritage. From 1980 to 2007 she acted as the highly qualified, sole official Superintendent Director of the city of Milan and southern Provinces. From 1998 to 2008 she directed the Superintendent Export Office controlling all imports and exports of works of art in Lombardy. Since 2000 she has been a member of the “ Abbatia Sancte Marie de Morimundo” Council
Foundation. In 2007 she won the contest and was appointed Superintendent of Historic and Artistic Heritage. Since 2008 she has held the office of Superintendent of the city of Milan and for 6 months the office of interim Superintendent of the city of Genoa. She is the director of the Brera Art Gallery. She published studies, research and monographic volumes on Italian painting and Italian sculpture from the 14th to the 18th century, among which a monograph dedicated to Giotto and one to Agostino De Fondulis. She also took part in exhibitions dedicated to Lombard paintings from the 15th and 16th centuries. Between 1999 and 2000 she designed and staged, as the sole author, an exhibition dedicated to the paintings from the house of Visconti and Sforza at the Brera Art Gallery. Concurrently, she published several studies on the Middle Ages: Saint Ambrose’s Golden Altar, Ariberto’s Cross in the Milan Cathedral, Cistercian miniature and a monograph on medieval Cistercian art and architecture.
MARIO BELLINI graduated with a degree in architecture from the Milan Polytechnic in 1959. From the very start, his prolific design work around the world was a great success. He has designed for Olivetti, Cassina, B&B, Flou, Vitra, Rosenthal, Yamaha and others, receiving 8 “Compasso d’Oro” awards and several international recognitions. His work was also celebrated with a personal exhibition at MoMA in New York in 1987. In the early 1980’s, he inaugurated his career as an architect by signing major projects in Italy and overseas, most of which were international tenders: the Villa Erba Conference Center in Cernobbio (1986), the Portello exhibition complex in Milan (1987), Yokohama Business Park (1987), Tokyo Design Center (1988), Risonare Vivre Complex (1989), Arsoa Headquarters (1996). These were followed by: Natuzzi Headquarters in the United States (1996), the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne (1996), the Essen Exhibition Complex in Germany (1997), the Turin Cultural Center (2001). Current projects include the Verona Forum (since 2004), the new Islamic Arts Museum at the Louvre in Paris (since 2005), the two eco-compatible towers for Deutsche Bank Headquarters in Frankfurt (since 2006) and the new Fiera Milano Convention Center, the largest in Europe and due to be completed by 2010. In 2006 he was assigned the development of the new Science-Technology Park at Erzelli in Genoa. In 2009 he won a competition for the restoration and functional redevelopment of the monumental Brera complex in Milan. He has prepared a long list of installations for art and architecture exhibitions in the most important museums across the globe, among which “The Treasure of St. Mark’s in Venice” (1984-1987), ”The Triumphs of Baroque Architecture in Europe 1600-1750” (1999), “Magnificence & Project”(2009). He served as the director of Domus magazine from 1986 to 1991. In 2004, he was conferred the Medaglia d’Oro by the President of the Italian Republic in recognition of his work in Italy and overseas.
GIANPIETRO BORGHINI was born in Brescia on 20 April 1943. He is married and has two children. He graduated with a degree in languages from Ca’ Foscari University in Venice and has a Master’s in Slavonic Philology from the University of St. Petersburg. He has translated works by the Russian philosopher A.I. Herzen for the Einaudi publishing house and by the historian V. Rutenburg for Il Mulino. He is a journalist and worked as a correspondent in London for the weekly “Rinascita” from 1968 to 1970 before serving as the editor of the Rome weekly “Nuova Generazione”. He was the deputy editor of the daily “L’Unità” from 1980 to 1985 and was in charge of the Milan office. He was the director of the daily “Il Giornale di Bergamo” from 1993 to 1994. In the political-administrative field, he held a post as a Councilor for the Lombardy Regional Government from 1985 to 1992 and then again from 2004 to present. From 1990 to 1992, he served as the President of the Lombardy Regional Council and from 2004 to 2006 as the Housing and Public Works Councilor for the Lombardy Regional Government. From 1992 to 1993 he was the Mayor of Milan and from 2006 to 2008 the Chief Executive of the Milan City Council. From 1996 to 2001 he was a member of the board of directors of I.C.E. (Institute for Foreign Trade) and from 2000 to 2001 the director of Missione Arcobaleno (private funds) in the Balkans. From 2000 to 2006 he was the deputy chairman and member of the Steering Committee of SACBO S.p.A. of Orio al Serio and was re-appointed in 2008. He is a consultant for SEA – Milan Airports where he is in charge of corporate relations. He is a member of the board of directors of Fondazione AEM.
GREGORIO CACCIA DOMINIONI was born in Milan on December 22, 1946. He graduated in Architecture at the Milan Polytechnic in 1971, where he successfully passed the State Exam during the same year. Since 1971 he has been working in private practice, mostly with private clients on architectural planning, city planning and design.
Since 1985 he has been a partner at the Caccia Dominioni &Zucca Firm. From 1974 to 1978 he was Assistant to City Planning I at the Milan Polytechnic Faculty of
Architecture. From 1982 to 1985 he was Assistant Coordinator to the Zone I Territory and Building Council Committee. From 1986 to 1991 he was Advisor to Zone 1 and Coordinator of the Zone Building Committee. He also sat as a representative of the same Council on the Municipality of Milan Building Committee as well as the City Planning Committee. In 1992 he was a candidate to the office of Councilor to the Municipality of Milan City Planning. In 1996 he was Stage Director for the Order of Architects of Milan and Lodi and Representative of the Order of Architects in the Degree Committees for the 1996 academic year. In 2003 he was part of the Committee for the international competition award launched by the Province of Milan for planning the center for excellence for innovation and work on Via Soderini. In 2004 he acted as spokesperson at the Milan Polytechnic in doctorate programs in architectural and urban planning on the theme of large containers. In 2007 he took part in the Committee established by the Mayor of Milan in support of the same and the Councillor of Mobility, Traffic and the Environment for constructing public parking in the underground of Piazza Sant’Ambrogio and the Darsena/Catone area.
ARNALDO POMODORO was born in Montefeltro in 1926. He grew up and went to school in the Pesaro area. In 1954 he moved to Milan. In the fifties he created high-reliefs with unique, original sculptural “characters,” his own signature, a new sculptural revolution. During the early sixties he moved on to “full relief” then to larger pieces.
He received many awards for his sculptures: in São Paulo in 1963, in Venice in 1964, in Pittsburgh in 1967, the Imperial Prize in Tokyo in 1990 and the International Sculpture Center Prize, highlighting his career achievements, in 2008. In 1992, he was conferred an honorary degree in Arts and Letters at the University of Dublin and in 2001 an honorary degree in Construction Engineering and Architecture at the University of Ancona. In 1996, he set up the Arnaldo Pomodoro Foundation, which in 2005 started exhibiting his works at 35 Via Solari in Milan. Numerous exhibitions followed. He exhibited at the Besana Rotunda in Milan in 1974 and at Fort Belvedere in Florence in 1984, followed by an exhibition in Paris at the Gardens of the Palais-Royal in 2002 and in downtown Lugano in 2004. He then held exhibitions along the Paestum perimeter walls in 2005 and recently at the Magnani Palace in Reggio Emilia in 2006 and at the Priamàr Fortress in Savona in 2007. He also had traveling exhibitions in museums in the US and in Europe, America, Australia and Japan. In October 2008 the Arnaldo Pomodoro Foundation hosted a collection of his works with a
representative selection of his monumental sculptures created from the 1970s up to today. His works are in large piazzas (Milan, Copenhagen, Brisbane, Los Angeles, Darmstadt and Rome), in the Pepsi Cola Park in Purchase, NY, at the Trinity College in Dublin, in the Della Pigna Courtyard at the Vatican Museums, in the large square of the United Nations in New York, at the Paris UNESCO site as well as in the largest public collections. He created the new “Gallery of Arms” at the Poldi Pezzoli Museum in Milan, with a project that is a combination of set design, architecture and sculpture. He taught at the Art Departments of prestigious American universities such as Stanford, Berkeley and Mills College. He also took care of stage design with “impressive equipment” for large Italian theatrical events. Lastly, he created the scenes and costumes for the opera “Teneke” by Fabio Vacchi, with text by Franco Marcoaldi, from the homonymous tale by Yashar Kemal, which premiered at the la Scala Opera House in September 2007, directed by Ermanno Olmi and conducted by Roberto Abbado.